Urban essay: A landscape, grounds keeping photo journal of transforming a weed lot into a garden. A "How we are doing it from scratch" web log. Topics include: grounds keeping, gardening, planning, landscape construction design, materials, equipment and supplies. Tools for lawn and turf care, tools for gardening, tools for landscape construction, and tool maintenance. Sources for tools and equipment, product evaluations and price comparisons. Garden project cost accounting.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Wood-Fired Oven

The grill currently in our back yard is the fourth or fifth generation of grills which I have constructed. Building them is enjoyable to me because I get an idea for something better and then I have to struggle to think through the concept while pushing myself to overcome procrastination. Once I get a good idea I know I will eventually follow through and build it. Anticipation is a feeling that motivates. Somehow there is this thing that truly exists in my mind that others may scorn. Anticipation is that feeling that keeps the vague concept alive and being alive the concept must develop and grow. Then, anon, with a little labor and sweat, a new baby is brought forth into the world with joy. If the project is well-crafted, the skeptics are turned to advocates, especially when supper is served. It is not just the structure, but also the fire and the reactions taking place in the cooking process that invite communion. Then, most important, the hospitality, the fellowship around the table which make the experience rich and rewarding.
The very first time I fired up my new grill I sat in front of the hearth nursing the coals and heating the grill into perfection. The hearth is now about chin level when you sit in a chair. All of a sudden - KAZAAM! Everything I had ever thought, studied and considered about wood-fired cooking flashed through my mind in an instant and, DING! The idea for a new and improved outdoor cooking and hospitality station popped into my mind. I had never yet gotten the grate hot in my new grill and I had an idea for a new one. I'm thinking a  grill with a griddle, a shelf underneath and best of all, a wood fired oven.
Days later I got online and looked up wood fired ovens. Much to my surprise and delight I found that they are closely associated with the Rumford fireplace. Then I saw the hand of Providence, my destiny. Here is a picture I found of a wood fired oven with a Rumford fireplace built next to it.
This is another photo I found of an oven under construction. I envision something like this as part of a cooking and hospitality area. There would be a fire table for a grill and a flat top griddle, a bin for the charcoal, a preparation station, an oven and an outdoor fireplace within a gathering area. There would be a high roof covering everything, and it will be easy to go from inside the house to the outside, no matter the weather. Underfoot it will be clean and smooth for bare feet. In the middle of it all, a big table.

No comments: